Rebounding or mini trampolining is not just for kids and it’s not just for fun. This fun and effective way to exercise produces feel good hormones (endorphins), increases the metabolism and creates health benefits that are numerous and long lasting.
Mini trampolining is not commonly thought of as the ultimate cardio exercise. Unlike treadmills or ellipticals, you seldom see articles talking about the calories burned or benefits gained by rebounding, and yet this underutilised exercise may be just the one thing that you need to be doing everyday for long lasting health and wellness.
Rebounding works on the principle or concept of free-falling, weightlessness or zero gravity. Astronauts used mini trampolines to mimic the effects of zero gravity in space and found that the health benefits were amazing. At zero gravity, the impact on the joints and spinal column is not jarring and harsh as it would be when running or pounding the pavement.
If we really think about it, rebounding is perhaps one of the few exercises that moves the body vertically vs horizontally. This attribute alone allows all the systems of the body to be activated. The bouncing motion produced, gently massages the lymphatics and therefore activates the circulatory system, and we all can appreciate that a healthy heart is an amazing benefit for overall health. Some of these benefits are listed below.
- Rebounding massages all the internal organs including the digestive system. This can help improve the bowel function; and it is not uncommon to experience a good bowel movement after jumping on a mini trampoline for a short period of time.
- The rebounding action also tones the lungs and makes us breathe deeper and more effectively with each jump. Naturally, the diaphragm and the muscles of the chest wall contract and become well toned by moving the body in this fashion. Air moves naturally into and out of the lungs and the process of gas exchange improves. Most of us don’t breathe further than our chests; with a good rebounding session, this changes and in the long run, breathing becomes deeper and more effective.
- When lymph flows, the cells of the body all work optimally to rid themselves of toxins while at the same time, increasing the nutrition and fuel that the cells can absorb. Each cell becomes an even more effective factory for making energy for the body overall. Subsequently, rebounding has an excellent effect on the immune system by increasing the number of natural defense cells and therefore warding off viruses, bacteria and infections. Overall, this simple addition to your daily habits makes the body more efficient, less fatigued and reduces the stress of a cellular toxicity.
- Rebounding also helps the body composition change easily. In just 15-30 minutes each day, obese women who used a mini trampoline were able to effectively reduce BMI and come into a healthy weight range. This is a great exercise especially since the impact on the joints is virtually negligent. Adding a small handheld weight adds even more tone to muscles and is an added bonus.
- Rebounding also has a profound effect on blood glucose regulation. We all know that Type II diabetes is very much a lifestyle disease and can be controlled through diet and exercise. Getting off that couch and jumping for a short period of time is the equivalent of walking 30 minutes each day. If getting off the couch feels challenging, a simple suggestion is rebounding during every commercial break to start. This adds up over time and before long, people are moving their bodies for several minutes each day and begin correcting and regulating their metabolism without the use of drugs.
- In a group of people who experienced postural problems as a result of muscular imbalance, rebounding served as an amazing therapy because it equalized the imbalances in the muscles, and therefore corrected the posture of the participants. It also helped reduce pain associated with these imbalances.
- Rebounding is also a great cardiovascular training exercise. It returns sluggish blood back to the heart, therefore making the heart pump even more effectively. We all know what benefits we gain from having a health heart and blood vessels.
Are you still not sure if you should get a trampoline? Many trampolines come with a safety bar and only rise inches off the floor’s surface. Therefore, it is a safe and simple exercise option for the whole family. More important, the health effects are numerous and your body will thank you by working better, less painfully and with more vitality and comfort. What are you waiting for?